Tachinid Fly (Rutilia lepida)

Out for a quick walk, I didn’t take my macro lens with me.  Pity, because I came across a luminescent insect about 2cm in length, sitting on a broken acacia trunk.  Turns out it was a large parasitic fly.

According to Museum Victoria, the Tachinid Fly larvae feed on Scarab Beetle larvae.  The adults also feed on butterflies, grasshoppers and other insects, helping to control these insect populations. I saw two Tachinid Flies sitting on different parts of  the tree trunk, some of which had obvious insect burrows and marks.  Perhaps they were laying eggs, but I didn’t get that close!

The Tachinid Fly is native to Australia.

One thought on “Tachinid Fly (Rutilia lepida)

1. 02 February 2018 at 11:06 pm

That’s a big fly and very colourful. Seems like a handy one to have in the garden.

• 02 February 2018 at 11:10 pm

Yes, they were huge! I thought they might be some kind of Cicada at first. Beautifully coloured and seemed very still, They just sat there while I photographed them.

• 02 February 2018 at 11:21 pm

Yesterday I saw a massive black fly sitting on a frame over a Peach Tree so I dashed inside for my camera. When I came out it had moved slightly and as I tried to get a shot it took off. Very disappointing.

• 02 February 2018 at 11:24 pm

Yes – that happens to me too mostly, which is why I was surprised they stayed still. 🙂

• 02 February 2018 at 11:31 pm

I need to get back into the habit of taking my camera with me each time I go out.

• 02 February 2018 at 11:46 pm

Mostly I have my camera, but time to process and post is not as plentiful as it once was. I hope to get back to posting here two times a week at least. that is my 2018 goal.

• 03 February 2018 at 12:29 am

I always enjoy reading your posts.

• 21 February 2018 at 2:47 pm

Thanks! 🙂

Let me know what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s