Parsons Bands Orchid – possibly a green form?

possibly-the-green-form-of parsons-bands-orchid

If you’re an Orchid enthusiast I would appreciate some feedback on whether this is the green form of the Parsons Bands orchid..

We have quite a few Parsons Bands Orchids in flower at the moment, but this one stands out through the lack of pink or red.  Potentially it is a green form, as referenced on the Retired Aussies  website.  I have not found reference to this colour anywhere else.  So, if you have knowledge of this variation, I am keen to hear from you.

When I took this photograph I was photographing a number of other plants.  I only noticed the difference after I loaded it onto the computer.  This means I have no idea where to search to find it again.  However, I will be on the lookout for another one.   The Retired Aussies website suggests it is rare, but it does not appear on the list of rare plants I have from DEPI.  My questions are:

1.  Is this a subspecies of Eriochilus cucullatus?

2. Is the colour variation specific to a geographic area?

3. It is obviously unusual, but is it a rare plant?

One thought on “Parsons Bands Orchid – possibly a green form?

1. 20 April 2015 at 8:11 am

Oh, how pretty. I’ve never actually seen this variation myself but it looks like you have an albino variation of Eriochilus cucullatus. It is still the same species. They aren’t as common as the full coloured plants but a few pop up now and then.

• 20 April 2015 at 8:45 am

Thanks Helen, that’s good information. Is there actually a ‘green form’ as indicated by Retired Aussies, or is that their name for the albino form? Yes, it is beautiful. I wish I knew where it was as I would like to photograph it when it was fully open. 🙂 Lisa

• 20 April 2015 at 12:13 pm

The green form is the albino form.

• 20 April 2015 at 12:25 pm

Excellent! Thank you Helen. 🙂

2. 20 April 2015 at 9:00 pm

Pity your camera doesn’t have the GPS function, having said that though mine is always switched off. I think if I had orchids like you do though I’d be leaving it on. That one is a little beauty.

• 20 April 2015 at 11:22 pm

Yes, there are some camera functions it would be nice to update… mine doesn’t have GPS. I’ve often thought about getting a pocket device I can record things, but I think I would be like you, finding things when I didn’t have it with me or it was switched off. 🙂

3. 25 April 2015 at 11:13 pm

Reblogged this on OrchidNotes and commented:
    One orchid that is currently flowering is Eriochilus cucullatus also know as Parsons Band. Generally the flower is darker but here is a picture of an albino form.

4. Lyn
    28 April 2015 at 12:37 pm

Very beautiful but can you please tell me the area your in.

• 28 April 2015 at 3:19 pm

We are in Central Victoria. Half an hour out of Ballarat.

5. 26 July 2016 at 7:14 pm

This type of orchid in Vietnam

Let me know what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s